Message for U.S. Citizens – U.S. Embassy Mexico City, Mexico (April 9, 2020)
Event: Limited Passport Operations (April 9, 2020)
The U.S. Mission in Mexico suspended routine passport and other consular services March 19 in light of COVID-19. If your passport is expired or is going to expire soon and you have imminent travel plans to the United States, please contact the embassy or nearest consulate to apply for an emergency passport ONLY. To schedule an appointment, please call 55-8526-2561 or visit our website.
Due to reduced operations at U.S. domestic facilities effective April 2, if you have previously applied for a passport or citizenship service, such as a Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA), you should expect significant delays receiving your documents. If you are in this situation and have imminent travel planned, please contact us for an emergency passport. As a reminder, U.S. citizen children do not require a CRBA to qualify for an emergency passport.
Actions to Take:
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts and make it easier to locate you in an emergency. To modify your enrollment and subscription to Alerts, you must log in to STEP.
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19, please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Check with your airlines, cruise lines, or travel operators regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Mexico.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the United States. Check Port of Entry wait times at the U.S. border and visit Customs and Border Protection’s latest updates.
- Learn about the latest status of consular operations at the Embassy, Consulates, and Consular Agencies.
- Call the Mexican Ministry of Health’s COVID-19 information hotline at 800 0044 800 for local information while in Mexico. English-speaking operators are often, but not always, available. Visit the local government COVID-19 website for updated information.
- For Emergency Assistance for U.S. citizens in Mexico, call 55-8526-2561 from Mexico or 1-844-528-6611 from the United States.
- The U.S. Embassy in Mexico City is located at:
Paseo de la Reforma 305
06500, Ciudad de México
- State Department – Consular Affairs: 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Follow the Department of State on Facebook and Twitter.
- Follow the U.S. Embassy in Mexico on Facebook and Twitter.
- Review the Crime and Safety Reports for Mexico.
- Prepare a contingency plan for emergency situations. Review the Traveler’s Checklist.